Fable Progress Slow Due to Playground’s Lack of RPG Experience and Frugal Ethos Says Dev

https://wccftech.com/fable-progress-slow-playground-lack-of-rpg-experience-frugal/

Game designer Juan Fernandez has bounced around various studios, including Rime developer Tequila Works, Hellblade creators Ninja Theory, and a stint at Playground Games where he worked on the new Fable. Perhaps unsurprisingly, in an interview with Vandal (translation provided by Google, so forgive any stiff phrasing) Fernandez reveals Playground had some trouble adapting to making an open-world game where you don’t blast around in fancy cars at 200 mph.

They wanted to branch out with something different and they thought that what they do well is open world racing games, [but] they lacked people with the knowledge of how gameplay is done. In an open world, how you control a character and the actions are very different from what you have in a racing game. At the technology level, you have to develop animation, scripting, a quest system. Moving in a car at 300 kmh has very different requirements than walking through the countryside.

Action RPG open worlds are incredibly complicated to do, they take a lot of time. A lot of people and in Playground they have the mentality of doing more with less, that if Assassin's Creed is done by 5000 people they will have 150 or 200. [...] It is good to be ambitious but you also have to be realistic and what I saw is that [development] was getting longer and longer.

:lawl:

the only thing that developer is competent at is fast-streaming grass and foliage in all directions.

i mean, have you actually seen your character model in a Forza Horizon game?  They don't know how to design shit.

LMAO...  They're taking it slow because they're developing a new type of game they never have before...... big deal. :woo: 

..and LOL we have Jerky here talking about their credibility as developers because the driver avatars in an open world racing game aren't top of the line character models..  :drake:

No idiot... the one thing they're competent at is delivering AAA games which shit on their competition consistently.

Lemji the first in here to defend daddy dearest. :muttley:

BTW, this game will suck and this franchise has always been over promised and underdelivered trash. No wonder lems slobber all over it. :hest: 

• Haha 2
20 minutes ago, Ike said:

Lemji the first in here to defend daddy dearest. :muttley:

BTW, this game will suck and this franchise has always been over promised and underdelivered trash. No wonder lems slobber all over it. :hest: 

He's "not a Lemming" didn't you know :monocle:

On 2022-03-22 at 9:13 PM, Remij said:

LMAO...  They're taking it slow because they're developing a new type of game they never have before...... big deal. :woo: 

..and LOL we have Jerky here talking about their credibility as developers because the driver avatars in an open world racing game aren't top of the line character models..  :drake:

No idiot... the one thing they're competent at is delivering AAA games which shit on their competition consistently.

A Dev team building a game in a genre they're not familiar sounds like a winner lol. C'mon man, it can work out at times I think the odds are against them. The industry has be flooded with devs chasing a genre they're not a good fit for since the PS360 era. Them taking a long time is better than rushing, but it's not a good sign.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Impossible said:

A Dev team building a game in a genre they're not familiar sounds like a winner lol. C'mon man, it can work out at times I think the odds are against them. The industry has be flooded with devs chasing a genre they're not a good fit for since the PS360 era. Them taking a long time is better than rushing, but it's not a good sign.

MS definitely has issues with regards to studio management.  I'm not denying that.  They clearly don't have a handle on their studios and thus they waste/lose a lot of time.... however that's not to say that I'm worried about Fable because it's slow going.  They're essentially building a new team, and a new game (to them)... so there's likely going to be some bumps.

I'll point to Guerrilla Games...  They were a Killzone factory... and then they made Horizon Zero Dawn... which took them 7 years from conception to completion.  HZD released 4 years after Killzone Shadow Fall.  Playground Games just released FH5... so they have time.. and at least it doesn't sound like MS will be pushing them to get something out there that isn't done.

I have a healthy amount of faith in Playground Games... that whatever they release will be a quality product... whenever it releases.

11 minutes ago, Remij said:

MS definitely has issues with regards to studio management.  I'm not denying that.  They clearly don't have a handle on their studios and thus they waste/lose a lot of time.... however that's not to say that I'm worried about Fable because it's slow going.  They're essentially building a new team, and a new game (to them)... so there's likely going to be some bumps.

I'll point to Guerrilla Games...  They were a Killzone factory... and then they made Horizon Zero Dawn... which took them 7 years from conception to completion.  HZD released 4 years after Killzone Shadow Fall.  Playground Games just released FH5... so they have time.. and at least it doesn't sound like MS will be pushing them to get something out there that isn't done.

I have a healthy amount of faith in Playground Games... that whatever they release will be a quality product... whenever it releases.

Honestly, you can tell that none of these execs are gamers. It's why the studios are a mess.