DF: Sources Claim Switch Successor Runs Matrix UE5 Tech Demo With Comparable Graphics to PS5/XSX

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DF cleared this up in the Switch thread.    NVIDIA has weird naming conventions... DLSS3 is actually frame generation.. And we know Switch 2 definitely won't have that because you need NVIDI

Sounds like I could have seriously underestimated what they'd be able to do, given my assumptions about where Nvidia would land with the hardware, and what Nintendo will potentially allow them to do.

Nice self ownage.  That thread was about Wiiu being closer to Wii than 360.   The Wiiu came out and surprise to no one, it was more powerful than 360.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Playstation Tablet said:

DLSS will also vastly improve the battery life.

Nah.  DLSS has a cost as well.  It's faster because there's cores dedicated to the task, but they use power all the same.

Devs wanting to push visuals will do so and utilize all 10w or whatever is allowed to them.. other devs with lighter games will prioritize battery as usual.

Edited by Remij
1 minute ago, Playstation Tablet said:

Well the whole Switch 2 SOC apparently leaked almost 2 years ago. We aren't going to get anything really surprising.

Was that switch 2 or the scrapped switch pro?

1 hour ago, __MACK__ said:

I called it super switch as I think it would be a nice name homage to the super Nintendo, successor to the great nes.

I really hope they call it that. The Nintendo Super Switch NSS

Edited by Cooke

@Remij @lynux3

DF corroborates what we said about the efficiency gains that NVIDIA made that can be potentially applied to Switch 2.

And if this is what the Switch 2 is then it's actually more powerful than we all think. Not more than PS5 or Series X obviously... But Series S level. 

Edited by Goukosan
  • Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

DF believing rumors and running with them like this is shameful. Wise up guys.

Can you read and comprehend? :umad:

Some more context. 

You do know that DF was at gamescon as they said last week. 

Last week they also said they saw the closed door area where Nintendo was showing off switch 2 to developers. 

Last week they also said they heard about what was shown but was waiting to confirm it before reporting on it. 

They week they're speaking on it, but still framing it as "Nvidia can pull it off because of the efficency gains"  that doesn't mean it's 100%. It's still a rumor of what was shown. 

They're reporting on sourced info from what was shown... Not some random 4chan rumor. 

Edited by Goukosan
44 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

@Remij @lynux3

DF corroborates what we said about the efficiency gains that NVIDIA made that can be potentially applied to Switch 2.

And if this is what the Switch 2 is the it's actually more powerful than we all think. Not more than PS5 or Series X obviously... But Series S level. 

Sounds like I could have seriously underestimated what they'd be able to do, given my assumptions about where Nvidia would land with the hardware, and what Nintendo will potentially allow them to do.

Given the Deck itself, and now more recently with the ROG Ally and new Ayaneo devices, it doesn't seem so far fetched to me anymore.  Ampere is a powerful architecture, and given Nvidia's advancements with DLSS since the release of DLSS2 will really allow it to run lower res internally while at the same time outputting superior visuals compared to any other handheld based on AMD.. that much is a given (currently since FSR3 also apparently improves super resolution quality)  DLSS3.5 SR, is pretty incredible.. and Nvidia are able to denoise and upscale from a stupidly low input resolution and make it look visually great.  Their Ray Reconstruction tech also gives me faith that it will be quite capable of quality RT as well.

The Deck itself is starting to show its age compared to these new devices, but it's still surprising how visually impressive games can look when you allow the framerate to drop into the 20s.  The Matrix demo on consoles ran at 24fps... So given that the Switch 2 has 12GB+ of RAM with decent bandwidth.. it's not surprising that with DLSS SR (and potentially hardware accelerated RT for lumen) that the Switch 2 could compare even favorably to the same demo on the Series S.

I truly now think that it's possible.  For sure, as I can attest to with the Steam Deck... when played on a ~7'' screen, a mix of medium and high settings produces an extremely "PS4/5, XO/Series" like visual experience.  The size hides a lot of the flaws.  DLSS will likely make up the difference in the resolution department as well, where as FSR on the PC handhelds really fails by comparison in motion.

I think it's going to be quite a bit better than I expected.

I wonder what storage capacity the thing is going to have?  256/512GB maybe?  It would be cool if Switch 2 had the ability to put in your Switch carts and install the games onto storage and run from the device without having to change carts.  Say it just creates a temporary key for the game cart with your account, and if someone else tries to install the game from that cart it just invalidates the key on the old device and creates a new one for the new device.  The cart can only have one active key at a time.  That would be cool.

I kinda went off there, but there's lots of questions.. and it seems like we're going to be seeing something fairly soon.  Exciting times.

• Upvote 2