A couple hours in RDR2.... this game is off to a slow ass start

Man... I get that they're world building and stuff... and I'm sure things will pick up after things open up... but it's pretty tedious so far. =/

It's beautiful no doubt.. and some of the details are crazy impressive.  Also, fuck me the amount of dialog the game has..  But after doing the deer hunt.. I'm done for the night.  Will dive in on the weekend.

Sounds very different to the usual fast paced start most games have to hook a player then things slow down. Guess Rockstar don’t need to do that.

my only worry with the game from everything I saw was that they might possibly go too far to the realistic side and have certain tedious aspects. Hope that’s not the case. 

Edited by madmaltese
21 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Sounds very different to the usual fast paced start most games have to hook a player then things slow down. Guess Rockstar don’t need to do that.

my only worry with the game from everything I saw was that they might possibly go too far to the realistic side and have certain tedious aspects. Hope that’s not the case. 

Yea no hooks, it's a slow burn. 

It has a lot more RPG elements than the first game and they're surprisingly in depth but the realism isn't that bad. You get hungry and need to bathe but that's about it. Hunger takes care of itself since food gives you health and stamina anyway 

10 minutes ago, -GD- said:

fuck, that would suck. i was disappointed by that game. 5 saved the franchise, though. 

It would be great if metacritic had a sub-rating to the overall rating that came back a year later and just took impressions after all the hype died down.  

1 minute ago, McWickedSmawt85 said:

It would be great if metacritic had a sub-rating to the overall rating that came back a year later and just took impressions after all the hype died down.  

true. i still want to play it. however, i have a friend with similar tastes. he'll be playing it all weekend. i'll be curious as to what he thinks. he also hated gta 4 like it did. 

• Like 1

What I'm worried is if the game will have certain areas for the beginning of the game, and never give you a reason to come back to that part of the map.

Also (minor spoiler when opening the game case)

The map that comes with the game shows a large land with multiple regions, and then on the other side is the map of the previous game, and that looks almost exactly the same, But I wonder why its being displayed separately from the rest?

Edited by jehurey
43 minutes ago, -GD- said:

true. i still want to play it. however, i have a friend with similar tastes. he'll be playing it all weekend. i'll be curious as to what he thinks. he also hated gta 4 like it did. 

GTA 4 :rub:

Ballad of Gay Tony :dreamy:

Yeah the initial reaction is quite surprising. Usually everyone comes out hyped and excited and 'OMG best game eva' which then slowly dies down and more objective views form as time passes. 

I've got it installed, probably fire it up tonight or tomorrow. Happy to go in with the expectation of a slow start.

I don't like how alot of small interactions require buttons to be held for at least a second, sometimes 2 or 3 seconds.

Like grabbing food and other items from drawers and cabinets. Like you have to HOLD the button down for at least a second to begin the animation to grab the item, and you have to do that for each item.

Doesn't make much sense.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, McWickedSmawt85 said:

Usually I think the user reviews reflect that. Sure there's a lot of trolls but I think 10/10 overhypers and 0/10 trolls mostly cancel each oter out eventually.

I thought it was great opening section. A great improvement on the opening segments of the first.  A house raid, hunting and a train robbery.  All with heavy snow keeping you kinda limited for a bit before it begins to clear up.

Looting is a pain in the ass yes.

• Upvote 1