Xbox Series X

With the launch of the Xbox Series X, it's no surprise Microsoft has graphical capability on the mind. Spencer told us, "We wanted to have a dramatic upgrade from the Xbox One base console. So when we do the math, we're over eight times the GPU power of the Xbox One, and two times what an Xbox One X is."

And when we do the math too, the Series X seems to be hitting around 12 teraFLOPs (the general metric used as shorthand to indicate graphics processing power). It's worth keeping in mind that hardware manufacturer AMD is leading the charge on the console's GPU/CPU, and the Series X will be capable of ray tracing for more realistic lighting, reflections, and shadows. Microsoft also has its eyes set on the future beyond launch day as it's accounting for 8K resolution down the line and 120Hz refresh rate.
It's not all about GPU power alone--as expected, the Series X beefs up the CPU. Spencer explained, "On the CPU side, which is [something] we really wanted to push relative to previous generations, we have four times the compute power on the CPU in Project Scarlett." Admittedly, not much was given in terms of specifics, but whether or not the reference point is Xbox One's eight-core 1.75GHz CPU or One X's eight-core 2.3GHz CPU, Series X looks to be a significant upgrade.

Harnessing increased power isn't just about raw numbers; the architecture needs to be built to take full advantage of it. As Spencer continued, "I/O [input/output] is always an issue. How do we move both memory and bits around? So, we have a 40-times improvement in the I/O speed, [increased] bandwidth for us moving things around on the console [compared to] the past generation. And we've upgraded to GDDR6 memory inside of the box to ensure that the memory itself is able to keep up with the CPU, GPU, and the bandwidth requirements."
It doesn't end there, however. The Xbox Series X will utilize ultra-fast storage tech that's been commonplace for high-end PCs in recent years. "We've invested in NVMe solid-state drives and we're also giving developers a lot of new capabilities, and on top of that, try to virtually eliminate load times," Spencer said.
3 hours ago, Team 2019 said:

I don't think volumewise total it's bigger than the Pro.

PS4 Pro is 325 cubic inches, XSX is 432 cubic inches (if it ends up being 6x6x12).

The XSX is actually smaller in volume than the original Xbox One, though, which came in at 439 cubic inches. The original Xbox was 525 cubic inches.

2 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

PS4 Pro is 325 cubic inches, XSX is 432 cubic inches (if it ends up being 6x6x12).

The XSX is actually smaller in volume than the original Xbox One, though, which came in at 439 cubic inches. The original Xbox was 525 cubic inches.

Pro is an abomination. It's fugly. It's also absurdly huge, it's literally too big imo, also heavy.

We're in for a gen of the two ugliest consoles ever released then.

That 10tflop PS5 isn't sounding so bad.

Edited by Team 2019
1 hour ago, Ike said:

It would have to sit on top of my entertainment center since it wouldn’t fit into any of the bottom sections. 

That's the thing I hate about it. The top of my console is completely clean aside from my Switch dock and I find the Switch dock to be an eyesore that sticks out. Now I have to have the morbidly obese version of an Amazon Echo sticking out as well?

6 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

That's the thing I hate about it. The top of my console is completely clean aside from my Switch dock and I find the Switch dock to be an eyesore that sticks out. Now I have to have the morbidly obese version of an Amazon Echo sticking out as well?

I mean you can lay it on its side but that looks terrible and probably not even good for the console.

4 hours ago, Team 2019 said:
"We wanted to have a dramatic upgrade from the Xbox One base console. So when we do the math, we're over eight times the GPU power of the Xbox One, and two times what an Xbox One X is."

Phil Spencer is engaging in one of Steve Jobs oldest tricks when it comes to marketing bullshittery.

Steve Jobs, and now Tim Cook, always do that shit. Introduce a new iPhone in the year 2017, and say "It is now 78x more power than the original iPhone!!"

The original iPhone from 2007.

Spencer is trying to impress us by comparing it with the 2013 launch model Xbox One.

As for its design, I think they want it to give off a vibe that it looks like a sleek enterprise server, a mini-server if you will.  But for the living room, those boxes need to be in the shape of flattened rectangles.

Vertical does not work well in a home entertainment center.