The Official "What Are You Playing?" Thread (Post Screens)

Put another 5 hours into Returnal. Finally was able to beat the first boss. Game is tough and now getting recked on every run in the 2nd biome. Still the loop is just so satisfying that I want to just keep coming back for more. Don’t even mind the toughness or repetition. It’s just a really good game that I want to keep playing. Can’t wait to get off work and come back for more. At this rate, I’ll probably never finish Ratchet lmao. 

• Replies 24.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• -GD-X

• Twinblade

• soup

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won't be playing anything for months or close to a year probably, stuck in bumfuck nowhere Montenegro in the middle of endless mountains, imagine Rocky IV's training location without the snow (yet)

There are cheaper ways to torture yourself. Im pretty sure razor blades go for $1-$2.

I finally finished Aegis Rim     I want my fucking 40 hours back. I can't believe how absolutely SHIT that ending was. I couldn't be more disappointed right now.   I was

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Ike said:

Put another 5 hours into Returnal. Finally was able to beat the first boss. Game is tough and now getting recked on every run in the 2nd biome. Still the loop is just so satisfying that I want to just keep coming back for more. Don’t even mind the toughness or repetition. It’s just a really good game that I want to keep playing. Can’t wait to get off work and come back for more. At this rate, I’ll probably never finish Ratchet lmao. 

Whoahhh! I hear the later biome bosses are much harder. Good luck bro lol

Lawd wait till biome 3 :scared: 

On paper Returnal seems like a game I wouldn’t have liked. It’s very risky to make a game where when you pick up the controller the user has to invest about an hour at least to attempt to make any kind of progress. But what they created is so damn fun and well designed I never feel bored at any moment I’m actually playing it even if I have to restart. I honestly think it’s the best 3rd person shooter ever. It’s simply on another level to every other 3ps  out there.

Yeah, the mechanics there are so good you just want to come back. Never feels like I’m cheated with my deaths either. It’s a time sink of a game though. Sat down and played looked up and 5 hours had gone by. Lmao 

Currently playing this little indie FPS gem called Project Warlock. Got it for $5 and had no expectations but holy shit it's actually an amazing game. It gets so many things right, I'm impressed.

Project Warlock - Announcement Trailer | PS4 - YouTube

Trailer doesn't do it justice. 

I finished Rift in Time and completed most of the side content. This series isn’t really my favorite type of platformer but I definitely enjoyed it quite a bit. And as we already know the graphics are pretty stunning. I was also impressed by how there’s so much shit happening on screen during some of the battles, but the framerate remains silky smooth.

Just now, Twinblade said:

I finished Rift in Time and completed most of the side content. This series isn’t really my favorite type of platformer but I definitely enjoyed it quite a bit. And as well already know the graphics are simply stunning. I was impressed by how there’s so much shit happening on screen during some of the battles, but the framerate remains silky smooth.

right? there were parts where i was like, "how the fuck is this so smooth?" i can't wait to see what they put out in 3 years. how long did the side stuff take? i skipped all of it. 

i hope they make a clank spinoff game. those puzzles are a great foundation for something awesome, if they up the difficulty. 

7 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

right? there were parts where i was like, "how the fuck is this so smooth?" i can't wait to see what they put out in 3 years. how long did the side stuff take? i skipped all of it. 

i hope they make a clank spinoff game. those puzzles are a great foundation for something awesome, if they up the difficulty. 

It’s probably just 3-4 hours total. Completing the optional tasks, completing the arena challenges, getting all the armor pieces, grabbing all of the spy bots. I missed a few of the gold bolts though.

11 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

It’s probably just 3-4 hours total. Completing the optional tasks, completing the arena challenges, getting all the armor pieces, grabbing all of the spy bots. I missed a few of the gold bolts though.

yeah, i figured it was short. i didn't want to ruin the momentum, though. 

Made it past the second boss in Returnal and now on the 3rd biome. God this game is so good. Probably the best TPS the genre has ever given us gameplay wise. It’s addicting AF! I have hard time every night putting it down to go to sleep. :whew: 

On 2020-02-21 at 10:56 AM, Casual said:

Been getting into Escape from Tarkov. Game is fantastic, one of the best and most fresh gameplay loops I've encountered recently, not sure how it wasn't on my radar until recently. 

Still doing some WoW Classic. Just raid logging for the most part at the moment. 

Can you tell me what this game is like.

I was watching the Book of Eli earlier tonight, and naturally I'm reminded about the movie feeling like a Fallout ripoff.

What fascinated me was that Denzel's character would be travelling through the lands, going into empty homes, he would find loot. Like canned dog food for him to eat, he would check the faucet to see if it still had water in it.

He gets to a town, and he wants to recharge his battery, so he trades a lighter and some moist towel packets, the vendors asks for things like chapstick, because its valuable. He trades in intact clothing to the bartender so that they can refill his water canister.  Some bandits bring back things like Shampoo for Gary Oldman's evil character.

So the reason why I am telling you all this, is because I think I LOVE that potential aspect of a Survival RPG, possibly online.

Like a big ole map. And I can do is walk through it, and the more I walk, the closer I am to dying. I need water and food or else I can't survive. So like Fallout New Vegas' Hardcore Mode.

Firearms and ammunition is SUPER rare, so if you get attacked, the fight could last a while, or you have time to run away.  So you scavenge and fight any type of loot that you can, that could be used as bartering material once you do into a town (or barter with other people, one-on-one)

No zombies, none of that shit. Loot, or ammunition is limited, and you can only get it by killing other people online.

Is Escape from Tarkov anything like that? Is there any type of game that is like that?

14 hours ago, jehurey said:

Can you tell me what this game is like.

I was watching the Book of Eli earlier tonight, and naturally I'm reminded about the movie feeling like a Fallout ripoff.

What fascinated me was that Denzel's character would be travelling through the lands, going into empty homes, he would find loot. Like canned dog food for him to eat, he would check the faucet to see if it still had water in it.

He gets to a town, and he wants to recharge his battery, so he trades a lighter and some moist towel packets, the vendors asks for things like chapstick, because its valuable. He trades in intact clothing to the bartender so that they can refill his water canister.  Some bandits bring back things like Shampoo for Gary Oldman's evil character.

So the reason why I am telling you all this, is because I think I LOVE that potential aspect of a Survival RPG, possibly online.

Like a big ole map. And I can do is walk through it, and the more I walk, the closer I am to dying. I need water and food or else I can't survive. So like Fallout New Vegas' Hardcore Mode.

Firearms and ammunition is SUPER rare, so if you get attacked, the fight could last a while, or you have time to run away.  So you scavenge and fight any type of loot that you can, that could be used as bartering material once you do into a town (or barter with other people, one-on-one)

No zombies, none of that shit. Loot, or ammunition is limited, and you can only get it by killing other people online.

Is Escape from Tarkov anything like that? Is there any type of game that is like that?

Alright I'm gonna do my best, keep in mind I'm not great at explaining and because it's a fairly unique game it's hard for me to draw comparisons.

So I guess to start off, I think it is similar to what you're describing, or at least one of the games that is closest to it. I would describe the game as a "realistic" survival fps rpg. I would say survival and looting are the two "core" elements to the game, with shooting being the close third.

Essentially you have your character. Your character begins with a limited amount of gear - specific guns, ammos, some bags, etc. The game is big on inventory management, think Diablo II in a sense, everything you pick up takes up a set amount of space, you can stretch your inventory space by picking up bags/crates that have slots within them (almost like a horadric cube, again calling back to Diablo II, but these come in many different sizes and dimensions). In the game menu you have your stash, which is really just a larger inventory, before each time you "spawn" in (which I'll explain a bit below) you'll set up your loadout, essentially moving stuff from your stash and either directly equipping it on your character (guns, armor, etc.), or into your inventory (ie. ammo, health packs, food, water, bags to store more stuff, etc).

One thing to keep in mind is it's NOT one huge world. You have a game menu, and you're spawning into specific maps. Your goals on these maps may vary, and a lot of it is just up to you. There are a number of quests in the game, there's a set of vendors that  you interact with through the menu who will request you to do certain things in the game, often times that thing may require you to go to a specific map. That said you can just load into whichever map you want and go looting/shooting as well. There's a lot of common items you'll find on all or many maps, and there's some items you'll only find on certain maps. Some areas will also require keycards that can be found across the different maps (so for example, maybe there's a door on one map that you can only access if you've found a key from another map and added it to your loadout).

When you load into the map, there's going to be a time limit of how long you have to "escape". You can leave any time before this, but there is an impact on your rewards and obviously if you leave right away you won't have time to loot anything. That said, there are scenarios where you'd want to leave early (maybe you got one of those rare keys i mentioned above). Each map will have a number of different ways to leave, some could be as simple as a door, others could have more requirements like bringing a certain amount of money to a truck and paying them to drive you away, some might only be active for certain time periods - for example one map has a boat but it will only be there if another player hasn't already taken it). There's usually 7-8 possible ways to leave any given map but they aren't always available, usually a few randomized ones will be available each time you spawn in. Now, if you escape, everything you looted (whether it be just scavenging, or from another players body, etc) you get to keep. If you die, you lose EVERYTHING you brought in (okay, it's not actually EVERYTHING, there's a couple small exceptions to that rule, but they're very much exceptions). The result of this is that over time you can very much lose everything you own. If you suck and just die over and over and over again, you could literally be at a point where you have nothing available in your stash to bring in a match with you. That said, there is a way to build up again....

So here's where it might start to get complicated, I'll do my best. There's essentially two types of players on a given map....PMCs, which are your persistent player character (ie. what i'm describing above) and SCAVs. Now, you'll encounter other player characters on the map...they could be hostile, they could not be hostile, there's really no way of knowing until they start to shoot at you. No toggle or anything, it's just up to you to decide whether or not you want to kill that person and attempt to take their shit. SCAVs are AI controlled characters, they're always hostile and will always try to kill you. They're generally weaker than your average PMC but they'll also roll in packs. The thing about SCAVs though, is that you can actually be one. This is one of the ways they kinda get around the "you lost all your stuff and literally can't compete anymore" thing. You can choose to spawn in as a SCAV...you don't get to use your loadout and all your gear is random (and usually not great - though you can get some decent things sometimes) however if you escape, anything you find is eligible to be moved to your own inventory (which you can then equip on your PMC and spawn in with). So this is sort of the exception to the "all SCAVs are hostile" thing. If you're spawned in as a SCAV, the other SCAVs won't attack you until you attack them, you can also of course choose to not attack other PMCs (though be wary of them attacking you since they might assume you're hostile - eventually you'll get a feel for the AI and be able to tell when a SCAV is a real player). You might be thinking, why wouldn't you just spawn as a SCAV over and over and build up your wealth with no real consequences, but there is a cooldown on this, so once you use your SCAV you have to wait a while to go back in as one.

In terms of the realistic gameplay things you have:

-Very specific damage. You don't just have 100 health, your limbs and other body parts all have specific health pools, they can be broken, wounded, etc which may require you applying a splint, bandages, using painkillers, etc. The effect of this will be based on what is hurt...if your right leg is hurt you'll walk slow, if it's hurt enough you might not be able to walk at all, your arm can be broken, etc.

-Weight mechanics that impact your speed

-You can choose your exact speed all the way from a walk to a run, this will impact your noise (noise is a big part of this, all surfaces make different levels of noise...one of the most important aspects of survival and getting kills)

-Hydration/energy system, need to eat and drink occasionally or suffer impacts

-pretty realistic guns and you can customize many aspects of them, all of which take gear from your inventory so you'll have to buy things like stocks, scopes, barrels, etc).

-Ammo system is also realistic, need specific types of ammo for specific guns, you have to actually carry clips around and reload/swap those clips. So if you have 4/9 bullet left in one clip, you swap to the next, but if you don't reload the individual bullets into that first clip when you swap back you'll still only have 4

-precise controls for crouching, leaning etc

-no HUD, literally. You can spawn in with a squad and there's nothing indicating that they're your squad so you have to keep track of where they are and remember not to shoot at them.

-No map either, so you have to learn each of the levels, where the potential exits are, etc.

-I mentioned the vendors earlier, you do have to level up and do specific tasks for them to be able to buy certain items, essentially a reputation system

-Also an auction house where you can sell to other players and buy from them

quick video there that gives some visuals to the things i explained, might make more sense.

one other thing to know is that there's seasons of sorts, every so often everyone gets reset, preventing the economy from getting too crazy/others getting too powerful. I'd recommend that if you're trying to start, do so about 2 weeks before a wipe happens - enjoy a couple weeks of not really having to worry about your gear so that you can learn the game and then start on equal footing with everyone (well, somewhat...huge knowledge component to this game, in a dota 2 sort of way).

15 minutes ago, Casual said:

Alright I'm gonna do my best, keep in mind I'm not great at explaining and because it's a fairly unique game it's hard for me to draw comparisons.

So I guess to start off, I think it is similar to what you're describing, or at least one of the games that is closest to it. I would describe the game as a "realistic" survival fps rpg. I would say survival and looting are the two "core" elements to the game, with shooting being the close third.

Essentially you have your character. Your character begins with a limited amount of gear - specific guns, ammos, some bags, etc. The game is big on inventory management, think Diablo II in a sense, everything you pick up takes up a set amount of space, you can stretch your inventory space by picking up bags/crates that have slots within them (almost like a horadric cube, again calling back to Diablo II, but these come in many different sizes and dimensions). In the game menu you have your stash, which is really just a larger inventory, before each time you "spawn" in (which I'll explain a bit below) you'll set up your loadout, essentially moving stuff from your stash and either directly equipping it on your character (guns, armor, etc.), or into your inventory (ie. ammo, health packs, food, water, bags to store more stuff, etc).

One thing to keep in mind is it's NOT one huge world. You have a game menu, and you're spawning into specific maps. Your goals on these maps may vary, and a lot of it is just up to you. There are a number of quests in the game, there's a set of vendors that  you interact with through the menu who will request you to do certain things in the game, often times that thing may require you to go to a specific map. That said you can just load into whichever map you want and go looting/shooting as well. There's a lot of common items you'll find on all or many maps, and there's some items you'll only find on certain maps. Some areas will also require keycards that can be found across the different maps (so for example, maybe there's a door on one map that you can only access if you've found a key from another map and added it to your loadout).

When you load into the map, there's going to be a time limit of how long you have to "escape". You can leave any time before this, but there is an impact on your rewards and obviously if you leave right away you won't have time to loot anything. That said, there are scenarios where you'd want to leave early (maybe you got one of those rare keys i mentioned above). Each map will have a number of different ways to leave, some could be as simple as a door, others could have more requirements like bringing a certain amount of money to a truck and paying them to drive you away, some might only be active for certain time periods - for example one map has a boat but it will only be there if another player hasn't already taken it). There's usually 7-8 possible ways to leave any given map but they aren't always available, usually a few randomized ones will be available each time you spawn in. Now, if you escape, everything you looted (whether it be just scavenging, or from another players body, etc) you get to keep. If you die, you lose EVERYTHING you brought in (okay, it's not actually EVERYTHING, there's a couple small exceptions to that rule, but they're very much exceptions). The result of this is that over time you can very much lose everything you own. If you suck and just die over and over and over again, you could literally be at a point where you have nothing available in your stash to bring in a match with you. That said, there is a way to build up again....

So here's where it might start to get complicated, I'll do my best. There's essentially two types of players on a given map....PMCs, which are your persistent player character (ie. what i'm describing above) and SCAVs. Now, you'll encounter other player characters on the map...they could be hostile, they could not be hostile, there's really no way of knowing until they start to shoot at you. No toggle or anything, it's just up to you to decide whether or not you want to kill that person and attempt to take their shit. SCAVs are AI controlled characters, they're always hostile and will always try to kill you. They're generally weaker than your average PMC but they'll also roll in packs. The thing about SCAVs though, is that you can actually be one. This is one of the ways they kinda get around the "you lost all your stuff and literally can't compete anymore" thing. You can choose to spawn in as a SCAV...you don't get to use your loadout and all your gear is random (and usually not great - though you can get some decent things sometimes) however if you escape, anything you find is eligible to be moved to your own inventory (which you can then equip on your PMC and spawn in with). So this is sort of the exception to the "all SCAVs are hostile" thing. If you're spawned in as a SCAV, the other SCAVs won't attack you until you attack them, you can also of course choose to not attack other PMCs (though be wary of them attacking you since they might assume you're hostile - eventually you'll get a feel for the AI and be able to tell when a SCAV is a real player). You might be thinking, why wouldn't you just spawn as a SCAV over and over and build up your wealth with no real consequences, but there is a cooldown on this, so once you use your SCAV you have to wait a while to go back in as one.

In terms of the realistic gameplay things you have:

-Very specific damage. You don't just have 100 health, your limbs and other body parts all have specific health pools, they can be broken, wounded, etc which may require you applying a splint, bandages, using painkillers, etc. The effect of this will be based on what is hurt...if your right leg is hurt you'll walk slow, if it's hurt enough you might not be able to walk at all, your arm can be broken, etc.

-Weight mechanics that impact your speed

-You can choose your exact speed all the way from a walk to a run, this will impact your noise (noise is a big part of this, all surfaces make different levels of noise...one of the most important aspects of survival and getting kills)

-Hydration/energy system, need to eat and drink occasionally or suffer impacts

-pretty realistic guns and you can customize many aspects of them, all of which take gear from your inventory so you'll have to buy things like stocks, scopes, barrels, etc).

-Ammo system is also realistic, need specific types of ammo for specific guns, you have to actually carry clips around and reload/swap those clips. So if you have 4/9 bullet left in one clip, you swap to the next, but if you don't reload the individual bullets into that first clip when you swap back you'll still only have 4

-precise controls for crouching, leaning etc

-no HUD, literally. You can spawn in with a squad and there's nothing indicating that they're your squad so you have to keep track of where they are and remember not to shoot at them.

-No map either, so you have to learn each of the levels, where the potential exits are, etc.

-I mentioned the vendors earlier, you do have to level up and do specific tasks for them to be able to buy certain items, essentially a reputation system

-Also an auction house where you can sell to other players and buy from them

quick video there that gives some visuals to the things i explained, might make more sense.

one other thing to know is that there's seasons of sorts, every so often everyone gets reset, preventing the economy from getting too crazy/others getting too powerful. I'd recommend that if you're trying to start, do so about 2 weeks before a wipe happens - enjoy a couple weeks of not really having to worry about your gear so that you can learn the game and then start on equal footing with everyone (well, somewhat...huge knowledge component to this game, in a dota 2 sort of way).

Excellent write-up. Exxxxxcellent. I read that as thoroughly as I could.

Originally I'm not looking for really comprehensive first-person movement mechanics, but it is interesting seeing just how comprehensive that is, because it seems like you really are creeping through those areas and trying to be as stealth as possible.

Would you say that there's any other survivalist RPG that comes close to this? Have you played Rust?

Like, what Twinblade asks, is there a BIGGER GOAL that you can work your way up to. or is it just to built up your character in having the best gear on him?

11 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

^that sounds crazy. Is there any metagame or overall progression (outside of the loot you gain from the maps)? I don't like the idea that they periodically reset things and you lose everything though.

4 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Excellent write-up. Exxxxxcellent. I read that as thoroughly as I could.

Originally I'm not looking for really comprehensive first-person movement mechanics, but it is interesting seeing just how comprehensive that is, because it seems like you really are creeping through those areas and trying to be as stealth as possible.

Would you say that there's any other survivalist RPG that comes close to this? Have you played Rust?

Like, what Twinblade asks, is there a BIGGER GOAL that you can work your way up to. or is it just to built up your character in having the best gear on him?

So I haven't actually played Rust, my understanding is that it is similar gameplay loop/mechanics wise as Valheim. If that's true, then I wouldn't say they're very similar, they share certain things but I believe Rust is one persistent world? Idk, maybe im completely off there.

In terms of a bigger goal, couple ways to look at that. There is a full quest progression thing going on, each of the Vendors have like 20-30 quests you need to complete for them. Tbh most of these quests really just involve you going to find specific loot, but there's some that get a bit more specific, you can find them here: https://escapefromtarkov.fandom.com/wiki/Quests click on the portraits to see what quests each vendor offers, should give you an idea of the things you're trying to do.

I forgot to mention this in the post but there's also a base mechanic. You start with a run down base that you fix up gradually by....you guessed it, finding loot that you need to fix shit. Some of these will give you persistent upgrades to your character or just QoL type stuff.  Some details on that here: https://escapefromtarkov.fandom.com/wiki/Hideout

There's also the progressing through the maps themselves...some maps are harder than others, so you'll need to accumulate good stuff to be able to go to them and get more stuff. There's also the locked areas aspect which is probably a bigger deal than I made it out to be, so finding those keys and being able to access different areas is a sort of progression. Again though, most of this stuff just leads to you getting access to better guns.

So there's definitely some RPG/quest type stuff going on but it really is all to serve the purpose of looting shit.

There's definitely a metagame going on though and the resets play a big part of that. The early meta will be a lot different than after two-three months into a reset for example. So it's kinda cool to play a full season, watching people go from being cheap and trying to get by with a pistol/melee and scavenge/find valuable keys to seeing them in full blown loadouts with crazy impenetrable armors and tricked out guns. The auction house also means there's a big "economy" going on here. A lot of people just like to engage with that, for example there's guys that will position themselves as the key hustler, just constantly going and doing runs where you have the highest chance of getting a key and then selling them on the auction house.

I do think the reset is something they intend on doing away with after a while, this game is still technically in beta so they make some pretty wild balance changes and the wipes usually coincide with that. My understanding is that they'll have a different system with full launch.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I need to possibly check it out.

I heard Ark Survival Evolved is a type of loot-based RPG in which you progress with technology. But I might as well wait for the sequel that's already been announced.

But like I got ideas of where this genre SHOULD be heading towards.

Like what if they created quadrant maps, and there are big spaces, and its a persistent world. And you can be a wanderer, surviving based on your loot and whom you kill. But what if you discover a valuable material in a specific geographic location, that you decide to camp there and DEFEND that place, and try to build a base there. BUT you need materials to start building your base. And you can't do it alone. So you start forming cooperations with multiple people.

Like Gary Oldman's character in The Book of Eli. You become a "Mayor" of a town. You have people that choose to work with you. Because you've gone and claimed a piece of land that contains a valuable material (wood, iron ore, or water, etc.) And you could essentially build your own trading outpost, and basically have formed your own clan.

And eventually multiple clans/bases have been created, they can either have peace and trade their goods in a friendly manner.  OR they could be gearing up their team to plan an assault to take out the other base.

If you got 15 people at your base, you need enough water for all of them, enough food for all of them, enough iron ore to make the ammunition or weapons to arm all of them. That means that it may require a caravan of raiders from your clan to go out and KILL and LOOT people.

Can you FUCKIN' imagine a game like that. I'd be excited at the possibilities.

Edited by jehurey
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I need to possibly check it out.

I heard Ark Survival Evolved is a type of loot-based RPG in which you progress with technology. But I might as well wait for the sequel that's already been announced.

But like I got ideas of where this genre SHOULD be heading towards.

Like what if they created quadrant maps, and there are big spaces, and its a persistent world. And you can be a wanderer, surviving based on your loot and whom you kill. But what if you discover a valuable material in a specific geographic location, that you decide to camp there and DEFEND that place, and try to build a base there. BUT you need materials to start building your base. And you can't do it alone. So you start forming cooperations with multiple people.

Like Gary Oldman's character in The Book of Eli. You become a "Mayor" of a town. You have people that choose to work with you. Because you've gone and claimed a piece of land that contains a valuable material (wood, iron ore, or water, etc.) And you could essentially build your own trading outpost, and basically have formed your own clan.

And eventually multiple clans/bases have been created, they can either have peace and trade their goods in a friendly manner.  OR they could be gearing up their team to plan an assault to take out the other base.

If you got 15 people at your base, you need enough water for all of them, enough food for all of them, enough iron ore to make the ammunition or weapons to arm all of them. That means that it may require a caravan of raiders from your clan to go out and KILL and LOOT people.

Can you FUCKIN' imagine a game like that. I'd be excited at the possibilities.

yeah, that idea sounds crazy and it's kind of what i had in mind for multiplayer while i was playing valheim.

i think the one tricky part is the persistence aspect. obviously everything has to be persistent to be meaningful, but how do you balance that persistence with the fact that different people would be online at different times. it almost only works if you have everyone on at the same time, right? either that or the scale is just so large that it can be sustained even if people are offline. but like in your scenario, if those 15 people are offline the base is in theory ripe for the taking.

15 minutes ago, Casual said:

yeah, that idea sounds crazy and it's kind of what i had in mind for multiplayer while i was playing valheim.

i think the one tricky part is the persistence aspect. obviously everything has to be persistent to be meaningful, but how do you balance that persistence with the fact that different people would be online at different times. it almost only works if you have everyone on at the same time, right? either that or the scale is just so large that it can be sustained even if people are offline. but like in your scenario, if those 15 people are offline the base is in theory ripe for the taking.

correct. Like I don't know if you could "close shop" on that geographic location for X amount of hours before you're base becomes vulnerable to attack. And if nobody logs in within a certain amount of time, a new countdown starts in which somebody is squatting in the area (alerts go out to your email or possibly an app).

If you are a wanderer, maybe you can find an area to camp and put yourself to sleep, maybe possibly creating "hiding spaces" where your character model can disappear on the map. But same thing applies, if somebody discovers you, a countdown starts where you have to get online before somebody kills you in your sleep.

And also...I would try to promote a free-to-play form of entry in that you are given a BAREBONES character to try and see if you can survive. You explanation of the SCAV immediately reminded me of the idea.

because we need "new blood" to kill and loot whatever little resources they have on their corpses.

Oh by the way. Did I mention PERMADEATH for the character you make? So pay $5 to make a new character that has SOME gear on him. if you die create a new free-to-play character and try and go hunt after the person who killed you and took your gear.

I mean, clearly RPG systems are more complicated than what I just describe, so I know there's alot I'm missing.

Edited by jehurey