This is why the steam deck will fail

57 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

Windows drivers came out yesterday for those interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=greMmdW9Yr8

3.1Gb of ram when idle :tom: @RemijI told you this bloated ass shit would suck ass

Also Heroic launcher is now available as a Flatpak so EGS games should now be extremely easy to play on the deck.

I haven't looked into it yet.. but what does SteamOS use at idle?

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sheep bought a second Shitch at 350$ for a OLED screen. stfd   A portable PS4 sounds infinitely better than the Nintendo pos you currently have.     Nintendo are selling their games at

Lol I remember that well, Jerry specifically. Its like how waggle was the future, then it was the touchscreen, now sheep are back to playing fps with fumblesticks and loving it. Funny how it changes i

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Remij said:

I haven't looked into it yet.. but what does SteamOS use at idle?

I don't think anyone has checked. It's hard to compare because the big picture style default is its own thing, so it would be best to compare the desktop mode to windows, and a kde linux equivalent on desktop is probably anywhere from 800mb to 1.5gb from my own experience.

13 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

I don't think anyone has checked. It's hard to compare because the big picture style default is its own thing, so it would be best to compare the desktop mode to windows, and a kde linux equivalent on desktop is probably anywhere from 800mb to 1.5gb from my own experience.

That's quite a difference if true.  However I'm not sure it will make a massive difference with Steam Deck anyway since there's plenty of RAM in the system already.  I believe the Deck can use up to 8GB of it's 16GB unified memory as graphics memory, right?  Games running at 800p with mid graphics settings wont be using anything close to 8GB of memory for graphics.  Most bigger games are probably using only ~2-3GB as VRAM.  So I doubt there's much to worry about.. you're going to run into compute bottlenecks way before RAM capacity bottlenecks, I'd imagine.

That's ONE aspect though.  Windows could potentially bog down performance in plenty of other aspects lol... so it remains to be seen.  Hopefully there's some videos coming out now comparing performance.  I've been waiting to see this.

In the end though, if Valve continues to improve Proton and SteamOS, it will undoubtedly be the superior platform for most games... as they're able to make system level tweaks to get around a lot of the issues Windows and it's API has.

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

IGN just reported that Windows 10 has no audio driver for the steam deck, so if you install it on the system you’ll get no audio whatsoever unless you use a headset :|:D 

it'd be hilarious if valve turns around and tells customers "go tell Microsoft to help you on that"

This almost feels like the Windows 98 SE to Windows XP days, where, mostly because of the invention of the USB, everything was a fucking compatibility nightmare, and people were digging into driver files.

Its like Valve is currently in the middle of experiencing that.

And Valve is just not a "front-facing" company. People who are experiencing this issue are just going to have to wait.

Oh, and if you installed Windows on your steam deck, there is no dual boot option, as of currently. So you would've had to removed or disabled the SteamOS from booting. So, Valve still hasn't figured out how to make good on their promise to give you the option of switching between SteamOS and WIndows.

There's a reason why they decided to sell the hardware while having a completely unfinished OS.

20 hours ago, Remij said:

That's quite a difference if true.  However I'm not sure it will make a massive difference with Steam Deck anyway since there's plenty of RAM in the system already.  I believe the Deck can use up to 8GB of it's 16GB unified memory as graphics memory, right?  Games running at 800p with mid graphics settings wont be using anything close to 8GB of memory for graphics.  Most bigger games are probably using only ~2-3GB as VRAM.  So I doubt there's much to worry about.. you're going to run into compute bottlenecks way before RAM capacity bottlenecks, I'd imagine.

That's ONE aspect though.  Windows could potentially bog down performance in plenty of other aspects lol... so it remains to be seen.  Hopefully there's some videos coming out now comparing performance.  I've been waiting to see this.

In the end though, if Valve continues to improve Proton and SteamOS, it will undoubtedly be the superior platform for most games... as they're able to make system level tweaks to get around a lot of the issues Windows and it's API has.

Well it shows Windows as using minimal CPU at idle but I'm not convinced. Windows has always felt poory optimized but 10 especially  I've never seen it run well on anything outside of gaming hardware. I'll be very surprised if it offered a silky smooth experience on this little thing.

35 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Oh, and if you installed Windows on your steam deck, there is no dual boot option, as of currently. So you would've had to removed or disabled the SteamOS from booting. So, Valve still hasn't figured out how to make good on their promise to give you the option of switching between SteamOS and WIndows.

There's a reason why they decided to sell the hardware while having a completely unfinished OS.

That's because Microsoft makes it a real bitch to dual-boot if you install Windows after Linux. You're blaming Valve for a Microsoft problem.

I dont know how you can complain about anyone selling anythong unfinished when Nintendo now charges you (and raised the price) for an online service that feels unfinished. Fuck all games, a pitiful handful of roms, its so far behind every other online service yet they sell it at a premium now :lul: Free online on Deck btw

On 2022-03-10 at 1:59 PM, Goukosan said:

The Switch is 5 years old. The deck is supposed to be more powerful than the Switch. 

The deck doesn't place any pressure on Switch what so ever for a number of reasons. 

1) Mass market appeal/ commercial success - Deck is not even aiming to be a mass market device.  There won't be enough units in the wild to even make a dent against any competitor. 

2) Power - as shown by the hacked internal NVIDIA documents, the Switch pro that was delayed/canceled was already more powerful than the Deck. So Nintendo along with NVIDIA was already on the road map for a more powerful device. 

3) Exclusives - this needs no explanation. 

I don't think the deck will be a failure because it will do what it's designed to do, be a portable steam device for your last gen and indie games along with cross gen games that are still being made. 

But if you expect it to be more than that an be some huge commercial success when Valve themselves already said no games will be made specifically for the device... Then you will be disappointed. 

You're overestimating Nintendo. And if you were an honest fan, you wouldn't be lie to yourself about Nintendo's hardware aspirations. The next Switch will be a minor jump, likely smaller than PS4-Pro. I know this is because Nintendo simply has no interest in joining regular AAA budgets. But you could defensibly say it's because they prioritize low/no fan noise, long battery life, kid-friendly pricing, smaller form factor, etc. There's no way Nintendo is going to make a less portable, chunkier system than Valve has done, and that's exactly what it would take to outperform the Deck.

You're talking about Steam Deck capping out at "cross gen" games, but it's well positioned to play all games of the PS5/Series era. It has the same architecture inside, same ram. At some point you'll have to tick back to 540p with upscaling, but as long as developers have to target Series S, there's no reason for Deck to fall out of support.

Plus when you figure indie devs are probably 10 years or more away from matching today's AAA requirements, I'm not joking when I say the gen-1 Deck will continue playing brand new games after Switch's followup is dead.

20 hours ago, Remij said:

If/when developers adopt Vulkan over DX12 as their first-choice graphics API, SteamOS will be in a really strong position to outperform Windows. Proton can basically pass the same code directly to the GPU without translation overhead. In addition to any performance gains they can squeak out of the API/driver, the average SteamOS install should have a lot fewer garbage background services running compared to most Windows systems.

Yea I don't think Windows functionality is anywhere close to being in an acceptable state for the Deck, judging from some of the videos I've watched now.

There's still lots of stuff Valve hasn't bothered to implement yet.  No audio drivers, there's controller issues, and also very obvious performance issues.

It's very clear Valve is focusing first and foremost (as they should) on SteamOS.

7 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

You're overestimating Nintendo. And if you were an honest fan, you wouldn't be lie to yourself about Nintendo's hardware aspirations. The next Switch will be a minor jump, likely smaller than PS4-Pro. I know this is because Nintendo simply has no interest in joining regular AAA budgets. But you could defensibly say it's because they prioritize low/no fan noise, long battery life, kid-friendly pricing, smaller form factor, etc. There's no way Nintendo is going to make a less portable, chunkier system than Valve has done, and that's exactly what it would take to outperform the Deck.

You're talking about Steam Deck capping out at "cross gen" games, but it's well positioned to play all games of the PS5/Series era. It has the same architecture inside, same ram. At some point you'll have to tick back to 540p with upscaling, but as long as developers have to target Series S, there's no reason for Deck to fall out of support.

Plus when you figure indie devs are probably 10 years or more away from matching today's AAA requirements, I'm not joking when I say the gen-1 Deck will continue playing brand new games after Switch's followup is dead.

The Switch pro information came from the most recent Nvidia hack :umad:

1 hour ago, TLHBO said:

That's because Microsoft makes it a real bitch to dual-boot if you install Windows after Linux. You're blaming Valve for a Microsoft problem.

I dont know how you can complain about anyone selling anythong unfinished when Nintendo now charges you (and raised the price) for an online service that feels unfinished

LOL he's trying to make an equivalency of an online service that wasn't even announced until Year 3

.........to the CORE operating system thats required for a hardware platform:hest:

and he's trying to convince me that those two are the same levels of failure

16 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

The Switch pro information came from the most recent Nvidia hack :umad:

Sheep love rumors now and suddenly the probability of Nvidia leaks being accurate are high :tom: 

5 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Are you once again equating someone else stance to mine you slimy bastard :umad:

Nope.  Not going to work with me kid.  I get bundled in with lemmings all the time for shit they say.

You and jerky only accept rumors when it comes to Nintendo... if they're of the positive variety.  Anything else, it's all just Hopes and Dreams™

Deal with it.

Look at this shit :tom: 20% of the RAM and 20% of the CPU gone and he's not even fucking doing anything. What a bloated pile of shit W10 is.

From a gaming standpoint, as expected losing the pre-caching, the automatic resolution adaptation too, this makes Windows less of a "click and play" solution on the deck, not more as people were wrongly expecting. Just wait until someone wants to play old games and they have to fuck around with files and folders and search the entire internet for fan-made fixes.

Now in fairness to Microsoft it was never going to be as good as an OS designed specifically for the device. If you really wanted games like Destiny 2 on the go I guess you have no option but outside of a few select games it's just going to be an inferior experience, playing games on an OS that really wasn't designed for that device.

Having said that I lol'd at Linus idea that people might want to install windows for xbox games and services :tom: what games?

One thing I disagree with is using Horizon as a measure of Steamdeck technical problems. The game had a number of reported provblems on PC when it launched (https://www.republicworld.com/technology-news/gaming/horizon-zero-dawn-crashing-on-pc.html), which is a reason I avoided it. I'm not sure how effective any patches were but as I've said, Proton can't magically fix problems inherent in the games code. If a game is buggy on windows it's going to be buggy on Linux.

The next guy actually had a much smoother experience

But wow, 3.4GB of ram. Fucking Cortana running in the background too :tom: What a steaming pile of trash this OS was. If anyone really wanted to run windows on this thing I'd recommend waiting for the W11 drivers.

Edited by TLHBO
  • Like 1
30 minutes ago, jehurey said:

LOL he's trying to make an equivalency of an online service that wasn't even announced until Year 3

.........to the CORE operating system thats required for a hardware platform:hest:

and he's trying to convince me that those two are the same levels of failure

Well at least your bitch ass finally admitted Nintendo online is a failure :biggrin:

• dead 1
1 minute ago, jehurey said:

Actually, it really isn't

How is it a failure, exactly?

The online works, doesn't it?

You just implied that it was, you can't go back now :face: not even 20 pages of Jerry-go-rounding is getting you out of this.