Forbes - Why the Xbox Series X is 2020's Biggest Gaming Disappointment

Written by a heart broken lemming :francis:

The Series X is the first major console release that feels like a small step for gaming, rather than a giant leap. Sure, loading times are lightning-quick; framerates are largely superb; dynamic lighting is on a whole new level. But has it delivered anything close to the awesome experience I built up in my head?

Nah. It just feels like a better Xbox One X. 

Of course, no-one in their right mind would buy the Series X because of console exclusives–that’s PlayStation’s USP–but it’s galling to see Microsoft do so little to change its ways. 

Halo Infinite is infinitely delayed, and even upon release, it’ll be the last standalone game in the series for a decade. Other games like Fable, State of Decay 3 and Forza are planned, but lacking solid release dates. Most of the rest of the hyped “exclusives”, like Psychonauts 2 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2, are simply being released earlier on the Series X: the stupidest marketing ploy in gaming, whoever’s doing it.

Meanwhile, Sony will release the likes of Horizon Forbidden West, God of War 2, and Gran Turismo 7 during 2021: all killer apps in their own right, and three more reasons I’ll be getting a PS5 when stock finally returns to stores.

But without any real initial spark, and not much shining on the horizon, it’s not looking too exciting for the latest Xbox; just disappointing. After years of dominance in my own gaming life, one thing’s possible: the Series X may not be my number one come this time in 2021.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattgardner1/2020/12/01/why-the-xbox-series-x-is-2020s-biggest-gaming-disappointment/?sh=739dab854ef1

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This article is dumb because nobody should be disappointed with a Series X. Microsoft spent almost the entire last gen showing you exactly what you're getting when you buy a Microsoft console: fuck al

@DynamiteCop @JonB @MalaXmaS @Spicalicious @Vini  

LEMMINGS PLAYING TETRIS AND HAVE THE AUDACITY TO SAY DEMON SOULS MM AND WHAT ELSE?

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Ike said:

TLHBFR :kaz:

$1500 worth of the most useless gaming hardware in existence in 7 years. 

$2000.

XB1 

Xbox 1s

Xbox 1X

Xbox Series X

It's actually more if you count the Series S but I doubt most lemmings will purchase a series S and a X at the same time. 

4 minutes ago, Remij said:

Can't argue with him.. it's pretty fucking sad they had nothing new to launch for a brand new console release lmao

They better have some trailers to show at the VGAs.

More proof of concept trailers. :mjgrin:

21 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

This article is dumb because nobody should be disappointed with a Series X. Microsoft spent almost the entire last gen showing you exactly what you're getting when you buy a Microsoft console: fuck all.

Buying a Microsoft console and being disappointed because you built up what it could be in your head is akin to blaming the lottery when you buy a ticket and don't win. Both sell you hopes and dreams, but any informed consumer knows the real outcome is just a waste of money.

At this point Hopes and Dreams are the lemming's best AAA exclusive game. 

46 minutes ago, Vini said:

Ehh I expected weak sales it's about how game pass does over time. Check back in 2 yrs

Gamerpass is going to appeal to some people for  sure, but probably not enough people to make the dent you think. It seems to mostly appeal to people who are already xbox fanboys and maybe multiconsole owners who'd want to save money on game buying. No pun intended but Xbox is missing captivating games or an actual hook outside of GP.