The Official "What Are You Playing?" Thread (Post Screens)

What a bunch of nonsense. Jrpg isn’t even a real genre neither is wrpg. Otherwise games that arent an isometric point and click dungeon crawler with pre rendered backgrounds aren’t wrpgs. Fallout 4? That’s a fps not an rpg. Witcher 3? That’s an action adventure game. Mass effect? 3rd person shooter

Squsre has been making plenty of games that don’t adhere to any basic conventions that are what people who don’t know what they’re talking about think is what makes a jrpg since the 80s and even early 90s with Final Fantasy Legend or Romancing Saga, Saga frontier, and they all predate games like suikoden and breath of fire. 

Also calling souls an action rpg but tales a jrpg is the dumbest most made up shit I’ve read in a week.

• Like 1
  • Replies 24.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• -GD-X

• Twinblade

• soup

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won't be playing anything for months or close to a year probably, stuck in bumfuck nowhere Montenegro in the middle of endless mountains, imagine Rocky IV's training location without the snow (yet)

I finally finished Aegis Rim     I want my fucking 40 hours back. I can't believe how absolutely SHIT that ending was. I couldn't be more disappointed right now.   I was

The amount of shit going on in Control during fights is next level compared to anything else ive seen.   I also started playing Witcher 3 again. Damn this game is fucking awesome. It still l

Posted Images

JRPG definition has evolved into more murky waters, sure. But that's because the fuckin label is broad by definition. I didn't make the term, it's just always been that.

You motherfuckers know damn well what someone means when they say JRPG. You grew up with the NES and SNES just like I did so you know the specific type of game the term originally referred to.

Unless I'm talking to two kids who started gaming with the PS2 and if that's the case then fuck this conversation.

guys relax. we are all right, there is no right and wrong. :ben: 

I would say Witcher 3 is an action-adventure western role playing game. I think you forgot to add the RPG. :ben:  you can skip the western though. :ben: 

1 minute ago, Sabo said:

JRPG definition has evolved into more murky waters, sure. But that's because the fuckin label is broad by definition. I didn't make the term, it's just always been that.

You motherfuckers know damn well what someone means when they say JRPG. You grew up with the NES and SNES just like I did so you know the specific type of game the term originally referred to.

Unless I'm talking to two kids who started gaming with the PS2 and if that's the case then fuck this conversation.

we know exactly what you mean, but you are wrong man. JRPG doesn't automatically mean it's a turn-based rpg. It's like a myth fried into your brain cause the genre was dominating in japan. That's all. :ben: 

Like you said, times changing, it's just the origin man. W or J. It's rather a style than genre. 

4 minutes ago, Sabo said:

Meh it’s the same with every medium. As time goes things start to evolve and lines get blurred in a million ways. Like with music. What started off as rock music now has a thousand different variations. Grunge rock, punk rock, hard rock, butt rock. At the end of the day, it’s all still fucking rock music. Otherwise anything that isn’t the Beatles is no longer rock music

3 minutes ago, kaz said:

we know exactly what you mean, but you are wrong man. JRPG doesn't automatically mean it's a turn-based rpg. It's like a myth fried into your brain cause the genre was dominating in japan. That's all. :ben: 

Like you said, times changing, it's just the origin man. W or J. It's rather a style than genre. 

Wrong? If you what I mean then how is it wrong. I never said anything about turn based being a specific qualification for JRPG either, you're throwing that in. I'm not. Mana series and games like that have more Action oriented combat systems but they still fit into the JRPG mold because of the way they're structured and designed. That's my point, JRPGs refer to a specific design... Well, the original description for JRPG. The one I grew up with and still refer to today because those types were "JRPG" games.

• Like 1
Just now, Sabo said:

Wrong? If you what I mean then how is it wrong. I never said anything about turn based being a specific qualification for JRPG either, you're throwing that in. I'm not. Mana series and games like that have more Action oriented combat systems but they still fit into the JRPG mold because of the way they're structured and designed. That's my point, JRPGs refer to a specific design... Well, the original description for JRPG. The one I grew up with and still refer to today because those types were "JRPG" games.

nooo, we are all right, sabo. who even makes the definition. we know what you mean by JRPG GENRE, but it's not like that anymore. we can call it traditional JRPG. 

I mentioned few posts ago the J or W stands for the origin and a style. But JRPG is not a genre. I know we all referred to it as such, still do, but it's wrong. :ben:  

it's just stupid definitions, we are all right basically. nobody should ever argue about this shit :ben: 

I'm about to start Kingdom Come Deliverence. I think it's an action adventure first person shooter western role playing game. 

6 minutes ago, kaz said:

nooo, we are all right, sabo. who even makes the definition. we know what you mean by JRPG GENRE, but it's not like that anymore. we can call it traditional JRPG. 

I mentioned few posts ago the J or W stands for the origin and a style. But JRPG is not a genre. I know we all referred to it as such, still do, but it's wrong. :ben:  

it's just stupid definitions, we are all right basically. nobody should ever argue about this shit :ben: 

No. We're not wrong. The children are wrong. Why do we have to sacrifice for them? Why do we have to refer to JRPGs as Traditional JRPG, newer games should be referred to as Modern JRPGs. We had the JRPG term first so we keep the original label.

Fuck the kids.

i'm at the 60 hour mark in p5 royal. i absolutely love the 2 new characters, and how you can now hang out with akechi (no more automatic level ups). i heard his story, in general, has been overhauled (i didn't care for his initial arc). unlike og p5, there's now almost too much to do with my free time. i literally choose, carefully, how i spend it. kichijoji has added a lot of variety, making it easier to strengthen character bonds and overall stats. 

8 minutes ago, -GD- said:

i'm at the 60 hour mark in p5 royal. i absolutely love the 2 new characters, and how you can now hang out with akechi (no more automatic level ups). i heard his story, in general, has been overhauled (i didn't care for his initial arc). unlike og p5, there's now almost too much to do with my free time. i literally choose, carefully, how i spend it. kichijoji has added a lot of variety, making it easier to strengthen character bonds and overall stats. 

I really hope they release a Switch version. There's just too much game and I want it portable especially since I own the OG for PS4 already. I'm buying Catherine to support Atlus on Switch in hopes P5 comes later.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Ike said:

I really hope they release a Switch version. There's just too much game and I want it portable especially since I own the OG for PS4 already. I'm buying Catherine to support Atlus on Switch in hopes P5 comes later.

it's been heavily tweaked to flow a lot smoother. i'm already done with 5 palaces (closing in on 6). i have probably spent the bulk of my time building up my character bonds. i'm already almost maxed out in all 5 categories, as well. as for mementos, it's a lot easier to evade battles now. i don't even bother fighting, unless it's defeating a quest. they added a minor puzzle element too, where there are now stamp collectibles. some of them are well hidden. so yeah, i hope p5r does come to switch. it really is the definitive version of the game, and apparently the new "good" ending is significantly different now, making up for the OG's shortcomings. 

• Thanks 1

Halo CE on Heroic is sublime! :juggle:    :whew:

That being said, I am coming up the Library mission ( :meh: ) so yeah, but major nostalgia vibes on the remastered version.

29 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

Halo CE on Heroic is sublime! :juggle:    :whew:

That being said, I am coming up the Library mission ( :meh: ) so yeah, but major nostalgia vibes on the remastered version.

the og xbox was amazing. 

24 minutes ago, -GD- said:

the og xbox was amazing. 

Yeah I only picked it up since I had a french exchange student coming and wanted him and I to have something to do on the days we didn't have trips planned.

And mostly my fond memories or playing with a good friend of mine for 6-8 marathon sessions in Legendary Co-op.

Now replaying the MC collection and the visual upgrades are a nice addition to reduce eyesore.

I probably spent more time replaying The silent cartographer than the rest of the game. Has to be one of the best FPS levels. It works as a really good sandbox. Just Doing dumb shit like killing my partner over and over in the sane spot so he can drop grenades and pile them up then parking a warthog over it and blowing it up was hilariously stupid

Minor FF7 spoiler if you've been on a complete content blackout I guess

Did they retcon the fact that midgar was covered by the plates and completely dark? or is the implication that the midgar portion of the original just took place at night? or am i misremembering completely?