Official Elden Ring Thread

2 hours ago, -GD-X said:

My mind is strong. It’s at 40. I can get 2 or 3 hits with it. But I think it’s my staff that’s holding me back. Thanks, though! I’ll get that tear. 

the staff you get from killing renalla (sp?) is the best. Carian caster or something. Though I have it at plus 8 and my meteorite still does more damage than it sometimes. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Platinum’d this bitch. Now, I can take a break from gaming  

Thought this was funny. If Ubisoft developed Elden Ring:  

remember the time when GD would say souls games is not his type. just reading his posts is so full of excitement. lol it makes me happy 

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, ghostz said:

the staff you get from killing renalla (sp?) is the best. Carian caster or something. Though I have it at plus 8 and my meteorite still does more damage than it sometimes. 

Yeah, her staff should be in the store. I have her magic, which requires 70 INT :deadest:

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

From is straight up trolling :D I wonder how many fake walls people have missed because of this.

Jesus fuck lol. I gotta take a break from the game (and gaming) for a bit. So, hopefully, more secrets will be revealed by then lol. 

1 hour ago, -GD-X said:

Jesus fuck lol. I gotta take a break from the game (and gaming) for a bit. So, hopefully, more secrets will be revealed by then lol. 

I know what you mean. Its a overwhelmingly large and exhausting game to play for a long period of time. I actually feel like I get more enjoyment playing it in short bursts, so thats one i've been doing for the past week.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I know what you mean. Its a overwhelmingly large and exhausting game to play for a long period of time. I actually feel like I get more enjoyment playing it in short bursts, so thats one i've been doing for the past week.

Yeah, it’s definitely best played in small increments. 

On 2022-03-18 at 10:47 PM, Twinblade said:

You don't want to play it because it's not that good. A simple truth many seem to have trouble admitting.

The first two zones are the game at it's best, everything after is just a constant decline. Game becomes dogshit in the last two zones. All these bullshit 10/10 reviews are clear indications that people didn't even make it out of Limgrave before they posted those reviews and opinions and making outlandish claims and praise.

Yeah, if all I experienced was Limgrave then I'd probably think highly of the game too... Unfortunately, I played the rest of the game and "masterpiece" is not a word that belongs anywhere close to Elden Ring.

The game is disappointing and it's clear that despite FromSoftware's best effort, Elden Ring was just far too big for them to handle and they should've scaled back. Instead they decided to cut corners and take shortcuts and we got a game with blatant problems all over the place.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sabo said:

You don't want to play it because it's not that good. A simple truth many seem to have trouble admitting.

The first two zones are the game at it's best, everything after is just a constant decline. Game becomes dogshit in the last two zones. All these bullshit 10/10 reviews are clear indications that people didn't even make it out of Limgrave before they posted those reviews and opinions and making outlandish claims and praise.

Yeah, if all I experienced was Limgrave then I'd probably think highly of the game too... Unfortunately, I played the rest of the game and "masterpiece" is not a word that belongs anywhere close to Elden Ring.

The game is disappointing and it's clear that despite FromSoftware's best effort, Elden Ring was just far too big for them to handle and they should've scaled back. Instead they decided to cut corners and take shortcuts and we got a game with blatant problems all over the place.

I agree with you on many aspects.  But I still wouldn't call this game disappointing.  It's still one of the best open-world games that exists.

But it does have issues. 

I'm at The Mountaintops of Giants.. and I do feel like the quality HAS declined somewhat.  So I'll wait until I finished it to make any definitive statements..

BUT.. I think I can pretty safely say that FROMSOFT could have cut the size of the map in half, and focused on making more interesting/intertwining areas and locales within that same space.  Half of that map is still a metric shit ton of space to cover.. but you could get rid of a lot of "travel" space and make a more interesting and focused.  Basically make the world JUST big enough to justify travelling on horseback between spots, with some good hidden things in between, but not too large where it becomes unfocused.

It's not the best FROMSOFT game ever, by any stretch.  That belongs to the original Dark Souls.  Even that game had it's own late game issues, but overall that game was just incredibly intricately designed with tons of cool stuff all throughout.  If the late game/side areas had been filled out like the earlier areas.. it would literally be the perfect game IMO.

But yea.. for FROMs next game.. I'd love to see them reign in the scope, and create a more focused game, with completely redone assets and animations.  Make something truly new again.  It's been long enough and now they have plenty of money and mindshare.  Build out the tech team so they can do your artists justice lol.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Sabo said:

Yeah, scaling back would have done a lot of good. I’m at the Fire Giant area, and my magic sucks against him. I can try to get a better staff, or change my stats and try out a more STR build. However, I’m kind of losing motivation to experiment. The burnout is real.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, Remij said:

I agree with you on many aspects.  But I still wouldn't call this game disappointing.  It's still one of the best open-world games that exists.

But it does have issues. 

I'm at The Mountaintops of Giants.. and I do feel like the quality HAS declined somewhat.  So I'll wait until I finished it to make any definitive statements..

BUT.. I think I can pretty safely say that FROMSOFT could have cut the size of the map in half, and focused on making more interesting/intertwining areas and locales within that same space.  Half of that map is still a metric shit ton of space to cover.. but you could get rid of a lot of "travel" space and make a more interesting and focused.  Basically make the world JUST big enough to justify travelling on horseback between spots, with some good hidden things in between, but not too large where it becomes unfocused.

It's not the best FROMSOFT game ever, by any stretch.  That belongs to the original Dark Souls.  Even that game had it's own late game issues, but overall that game was just incredibly intricately designed with tons of cool stuff all throughout.  If the late game/side areas had been filled out like the earlier areas.. it would literally be the perfect game IMO.

But yea.. for FROMs next game.. I'd love to see them reign in the scope, and create a more focused game, with completely redone assets and animations.  Make something truly new again.  It's been long enough and now they have plenty of money and mindshare.  Build out the tech team so they can do your artists justice lol.

Ha, we’re in the same area. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

Yeah, scaling back would have done a lot of good. I’m at the Fire Giant area, and my magic sucks against him. I can try to get a better staff, or change my stats and try out a more STR build. However, I’m kind of losing motivation to experiment. The burnout is real.  

I'm not burnt out on it yet.. or even close.  I've been pacing myself pretty well I think.  I played a ton the opining weekend, then during the week that followed I wasn't able to put massive amounts of time into it until the following weekend again.  Since then, it's been a steady few hours here and there, depending on what's happening.  Sometimes I jump in and have my mind set on completing a certain area.  Other times I'm just wandering around looking for things I've missed or farming items.  Other times I'm progressing and completely zoned in and time just flies by.. like WTF? lol...

I want to 100% it, so it's going to take a long ass time I think.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Remij said:

I'm not burnt out on it yet.. or even close.  I've been pacing myself pretty well I think.  I played a ton the opining weekend, then during the week that followed I wasn't able to put massive amounts of time into it until the following weekend again.  Since then, it's been a steady few hours here and there, depending on what's happening.  Sometimes I jump in and have my mind set on completing a certain area.  Other times I'm just wandering around looking for things I've missed or farming items.  Other times I'm progressing and completely zoned in and time just flies by.. like WTF? lol...

I want to 100% it, so it's going to take a long ass time I think.

Yeah, I need a break. I should have paced myself better. I went from 10 hours to 60 hours in like a week and a half. 

• Like 1

I agree with you guys. At first I was impressed by the game's scale but the more I play it the more I realize that I might have preferred a smaller and more tighter experience. There is a surprising amount of recycled and repetitive content (Ruins, Caves, Catacombs, all look alike) as well as re-used enemies/bosses. There's also some environments where the enemy placement makes no sense and actually hurts the immersion. Like why is there a giant crab in the middle of the Academy of Raya Lucaria? Or the random jellyfish creatures that are roaming the forests and caves? It makes no sense. Every environment and enemy encounter in previous Souls games felt thoughtfully designed and fit their respective settings, while in Elden Ring it just feels like they plopped random enemies all over the place to fill the levels and as a result they feel completely out of place at times.

• Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I agree with you guys. At first I was impressed by the game's scale but the more I play it the more I realize that I might have preferred a smaller and more tighter experience. There is a surprising amount of recycled and repetitive content (Ruins, Caves, Catacombs, all look alike) as well as re-used enemies/bosses. There's also some environments where the enemy placement makes no sense and actually hurts the immersion. Like why is there a giant crab in the middle of the Academy of Raya Lucaria? Or the random jellyfish creatures that are roaming the forests and caves? It makes no sense. Every environment and enemy encounter in previous Souls games felt thoughtfully designed and fit their respective settings, while in Elden Ring it just feels like they plopped random enemies all over the place to fill the levels and as a result they feel completely out of place at times.

Yea I agree, some of the enemies like those Jellyfish enemies are just weirdly placed at times.  No rhyme or reason to it haha.. almost like Dark Souls 2.

Of course the game reuses all assets from past FROM games.  From Sekiro and Bloodborne assets combined with DarkSouls series assets and everything in between.  The game actually smartly re-purposes a lot more than I think most people even imagine.  It's funny how you can take the same animations from past characters/bosses, and apply them to enemies of different shapes and sizes, and suddenly they look new/different enough that you might not even notice.

The other disappointing aspect as you said was the ruins/caves mostly all using the same tile sets.  They're all very "boxy" in their design and not really organic at all.

Still though, it must be said, there are aspects of this game where you're like... damn that scale is massively impressive and creating an entire world like this is no small feat.  They need to incorporate every trick in the book to be able to manage this as well as they did. 

I'd love to know what their budget was for this game.  They must have a seriously good return with this game lol.

• Upvote 1